Dairy-free Ricotta

3:21 PM

(3) Comments


"Stedda" Ricotta from The American Vegetarian Cookbook, Marilyn Diamond
This tastes like the real stuff. Use as you would ricotta made with cow's milk.

1 lb. firm tofu
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Place 3/4 of tofu and remaining ingredients in a blender. Blend until thick and smooth.
Mash remaining tofu into the blended mixture. Yields 2 1/2 to 3 cups.

NOTE: The recipe calls for extra-firm tofu which should be drained and wrapped in something absorbent like a clean towel for 15 minutes or so before proceeding with the recipe otherwise
it will be "too wet."

3 Responses to "Dairy-free Ricotta"

October 10, 2008 at 3:31 PM
This is what I use in my lasagna and sometimes I put it in spaghetti. I usually just throw it right in after I mash it, but I think I'll blend and see how it goes.
Anonymous said :
October 14, 2008 at 5:55 PM
I used this tonight to make manicotti. I added fresh Italian parsley, garlic, salt and pepper and added it to the pasta and covered it with marinara sauce. It was delicious!
Anonymous said :
October 15, 2008 at 3:28 AM
I made it yesterday for lasgana tonight. I love it sooo much more than traditional ricotta, more flavor, healthier, and the protein!!! Glad you like it :)

Post a Comment