Insalada Tepida di Lenticchie

11:31 AM

(1) Comments

This recipe comes from a tiny little book in Italian my mom gave me. I have never made anything else in the book, and I don't need to. This stuff is great. I love having it in the fridge for a mid-afternoon snack. Yes, I snack on lentils.

1 lb dry lentils
1 bay leaf
2 tsp thyme
5 c. chicken broth
3 carrots, chopped
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
1/2 c lemon juice
1/2 c parsley
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 sliced scallions
salt and pepper

In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until lentils are soft and most of the broth is absorbed. Remove bay leaf and onion. (That's right, don't keep the onion in there, it's for flavor)
Toss the mixture with lemon juice, parsley, olive oil and scallions. Season with salt and pepper.

Sometimes, when I want to look artsy, I serve it in bowls/plates lined with red cabbage leaves.

1 Response to "Insalada Tepida di Lenticchie"

Anonymous said :
October 7, 2008 at 4:50 PM
This was so easy to make. It tasted wonderful. I love carrots and added more. I could eat it warm or at room temp. Great one "L"!

Post a Comment