- 2-4 red chilies (or substitute green), depending on desired spice level (you can also leave out the chili for an extra mild curry)
- 4 shallots (or 2 small cooking onion)
- 2 thumb-size piece ginger, sliced
- 6 large cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. fresh nutmeg (or substitute cinnamon)
- 6 Tbsp. fish sauce (available at Asian/Chinese food stores)
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 8 fresh or frozen kaffir lime leaves, snipped into small pieces with scissors (discard central stem)
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (or juice from 1/2 lime)
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup OR 1 Tbsp. tomato paste + 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 Smallish size pumpkin (smaller than your head but larger than your hands put together)
- 1 lb. Chicken breast
- 1/3 cup jasmine rice
- 3 small yellow potatoes
- 2 carrots
PREPARATION: 1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut a lid off the pumpkin. Scrape out the seeds and threads inside and discard.
3. Rub the butter around the inside of the pumpkin or spray PAM and season generously with salt and pepper.
4. Simmer sauce ingredients until warm.
5. Dice chicken, potatoes and carrots, pour all ingredients including sauce and 1/3 c rice into pumpkin.
6. Cover with its lid, then wrap foil loosely around it, taking care not to spill the contents. Stand it in a roasting tin and bake for 1¾-2½ hours until the inside is tender.Serve as a soup or over cooked jasmine rice.